Diagnosed With Mesothelioma – Mesothelioma is a very unusual cancerous growth that enters the cells of the mesothelium. It is one of the identified as an occupational disease because it is begun in the vast majority of cases by exposure to asbestos. It can, however, occur in people who have never been exposed to asbestos.
Diagnosed With Mesothelioma
It is difficult to get Diagnosed With Mesothelioma in its early stages because the first symptoms do not appear in the initial stages of the disease.
Diagnosed With Mesothelioma: what is it?
Mesothelioma is a very rare form of cancer. It begins in the mesothelium, the latter being a membrane covering and protecting most of the internal organs of the body.
There are different forms of mesothelioma diagnosis:
- Diagnosed With Mesothelioma Pleural: This is the most known form of mesothelioma, affecting the pleura, that is to say, the envelope of the lungs. It accounts for about 70 to 80% of all mesothelioma cases.
- Diagnosed With Mesothelioma Peritoneal: affecting the peritoneum, the envelope of the abdominal cavity. It accounts for 25% of mesothelioma cases.
- Diagnosed With Mesothelioma Pericardial: affecting the envelope of the heart, the pericardium.
- Mesothelioma of the Trichomonas vaginalis developing in the envelope of the testicles.
Symptoms To Be Diagnosed With Mesothelioma
The signs of being Diagnosed With Mesothelioma are often detected late because they are not very obvious.
For pleural mesothelioma:
- chest pain;
- neuralgia in the arm;
- pain in the back or shoulder blade;
- persistent cough
- however pleural effusion accompanied by shortness of breath is more suggestive.
For peritoneal mesothelioma:
- abdominal pain ;
- abdominal swelling;
- intestinal obstruction ;
- weight loss.
During the process of being Diagnosed With Mesothelioma, many examinations can be performed, aiming at different conclusions:
- chest X-rays to confirm pleural effusion;
- computed tomography (CT);
- MRI, to assess the extent of a tumor;
- positron emission tomography (PET): the gold standard for determining the site of mesothelioma and its stage;
- fluid analysis;
- tissue analysis;
Determining the stage of mesothelioma is also important for evaluating the future effectiveness of treatment. This stage is part of classification: the international TGM classification system for diffuse malignant pleural mesothelioma. For other mesotheliomas, the general TGM for cancer is used.